Friday, June 26, 2009

My little story, Part 1 | "I got a job in sales!"

Well, so here go....Blogging.

Look, I don't mean to make it sound like the concept is unique or new as it's certainly neither, but I want to see what it can do for me. I own a small business that designs, builds, and gets small websites placed on Google.

So short background on me: I worked for the largest online legal marketing company in the world for five years. I loved it. From the very first time I posted a picture on one of my clients websites I was hooked. So I worked my way up through the company, from making pre-sales calls, to account management, to senior account management. I learned a lot about web marketing, what lawyers want from a website, and how to put it all together.

As I learned more and more, I got frustrated that the sales reps made all of the money and we (the people back in the home office) seemed to be doing all of the real work. I didn't have any real sales experience, but through perseverance and persuasion I convinced them to give me a territory selling websites in Wisconsin. I lived in the Twin Cities....this was a jump.

Risky as it was, I put my house on the market, told my loving wife (who was making these decisions with me) that I was going to have to be out of town for a while, and left her at home with our son who was almost two. My territory covered Eau Claire, Madison, North Milwaukee and up into the Fox River Valley (Oshkosh, Appleton, Green Bay). This was late 2006. The housing market was about to drop through the floor, the economy was about to free fall into a complete nightmare, and gas was about to go to $4.00 a gallon.

Never the less, I was confident things were going to work out....

No comments:

Post a Comment