Friday, June 26, 2009

My little story, Part 2 | "Steep learning ramp"

So I take this Wisconsin territory. There were plenty of things working against me, an unexperienced, unknown sales rep beginning his career and looking to sell his house in late 2006.

I wanted it. Really bad. I made the calls, I tied my tie, I showed up to my meetings early. My face was shaved, my breath was fresh. The first couple of weeks my suits sucked...but they got better. I was probably the most well-liked, unsuccessful sales rep the world of over-priced websites has ever seen. I had no idea how to close. It's a pretty awkward process when you get someone to buy into a site, and then they have to ask "so, do I like, sign a contract or something now?"....ouch.

That said, in my first couple of months I started to get the hang of it and even hit my number a couple of times. We were up against some tough math at home. Our realtor was telling us that our house was over priced listed at the same number we owed. So basically we had to pay all of the transaction costs, our realtor's commission, and whatever the spread was between the offer and our listing price. It was about $20,000 at our asking price.... When people made 'offers' anywhere between $20k and $50k below our asking price, that number swelled as high as $70,000. Do you have $70,000 in cash? I do not.

Fact is, to get someone to believe in your product, they need to believe in you. For someone else to believe in you, first YOU need to believe in you. So I took all of that doubt, and math, and other non-sense and got focused on what I needed to do....go and sell these websites. Some months I made, most I didn't. Eventually, my boss took some mercy on me... A territory was opening in St. Paul, and they offered it to me.

I didn't have to sell my house anymore. I didn't have to live out of hotels anymore. My wife didn't have to be a single parent (with this dude who showed up on the weekends, distracted, defeated, depressed). I was going to LIVE in the community where I was selling.

Things were going to get better...

No comments:

Post a Comment