Brainerd, MN DWI / DUI Defense Lawyer
While I don't have a long and storied career in sales, I did have a stretch where I held a territory, well two actually, for a large marketing company. Because of my resume (lack of) I was really over my head. I pushed and shoved my way into the job, and then got it and then realized I wasn't very good at it.
I listened to sales tapes a lot. When you sell websites to law firms, listening to motivational speakers talk about sales can be difficult because most of them sold something to the general public. This isn't a "it's harder to sell to lawyers thing" but one of the things that sales managers and speakers like to talk about is the way that you educate your client about what it is that you sell. A guy I worked for loved to tell this horrible story about how he goes into a clients office with a struggling sales rep and develops a great rapport with the lawyer.
In the story, he asks about this photo on the wall. The guy has a boat, and really enjoys the times he spends on the boat. So the manager guy also has a boat, they start talking boats. The manager talks about how this great website actually allows you to get higher value cases by having more to select from. This leads to greater profits and efficiency, which leads to more time on said boat. Long story short, they make a big sale, leading to this conversation in the car:
Struggling Sales Rep: Wow, that was great.
Awesome Manager: Well, it's always nice to make a sale. Now what did we sell him?
Struggling Sales Rep: Oh it was a XZ2000....
Awesome Manager: No, what did we really sell him?
Struggling Sales Rep: Well, the chance to make some money online? Like, is that why we go and ask him about his average case value and then tell him how to run his business (that part was a little author inserted-mocking....I hated the way this guy sold. It was reckless and completely void of knowing anything about what we did....he didn't.)
Awesome Manager: No, we didn't sell him a website, we sold him more time on his boat.
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how you sell a website to a lawyer. By promising him it will make him more money when you have no clue if, or how, it actually would. I remember listening to this story, not to exaggerate, so let's say seven-hundred times. The reason I'm going through all of this is because I would always ask myself "why can't we just sell them what they're buying? That was, in my opinion, a nice website that would help people learn more about their practice, and could increase the amount of new clients they receive. Well, the answer is that we had to sell them 'the dream' to ensure that they could swallow the gigantic price tag.
So this is really all getting too long. So let's call this the introduction to the story and we'll pick it up in the next post. The point is, It's interesting to be actively defining what it is you are selling.
No comments:
Post a Comment